RE: Tire Question

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Tire Question
From: Pete Holsberg <pjh@mccc.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2001 22:46:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 17 Sep 2001, Linnhoff, Eric wrote:

> Usually there are little "diamonds" around the edge of
> the tire on the very bottom (closest to the center of the
> wheel) of the tread blocks.  They sit more on the
> sidewall than on the tread face.  Usually they'll be on
> every 3rd or 4th tread block.  Ideally you want to scuff
> just down to the tip of the diamonds and no farther.

My chief competitor couldn't find any diamonds on his brand
new, not mounted Kumhos.

Are they supposed to be on the tread, the shoulders or the
sidewall?

Another way to ask the same question is, after I chalk (or
shoe polish the shoulders and sidewall, how much chalk
should be rubbed off?

Do Kumhos like high pressure (>40 psi) in a FWD, 2400 lb
car?

Thanks,
Pete