Miata package identification

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Miata package identification
From: Kevin Stevens <Kevin_Stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2001 14:02:29 -0700 (PDT)
Hello, all -

I'm looking at a 1994 Miata, and trying to figure out whether it is
actually an R-package, or a tarted up base model.

It doesn't have:
headrest speakers
power windows, mirrors, or antenna
cruise control
any special badging
leather steering wheel

It does have:
R-package rear spoiler, front and rear skirt dams
5-speed
AM/FM stereo (not sure about cassette)
cloth seats

The shocks have been replaced, so I don't know if the originals were
Bilstein or not.

The wheels have been replaced with Enkeis, so I don't know if the
originals were alloy or steel.

The present owner (not a sports car type) replaced the wheels and shocks,
and says that when he bought it (not new) it had alloys on it, he's not
sure about the shocks.

The question is whether the previous owner slapped
R-package trim and alloys on a base model or not.

The other things I know to look for are sway bar diameter (I can't tell
decisively between an 11mm and 12mm bar without another to compare to),
and the presence of a Torsen.  I had him launch the car moderately hard
into a couple of right-hand turns; he got inside chirp but no wheelspin.
I'm not convinced that it was hard enough to be a definitive test; don't
know how hard you have to launch the thing to find out.

My question is: is there no definitive way, like an option code or VIN
decode or some badging, to identify a 1994 R-package?  I couldn't find any
option code listings in the center console, glovebox, or inside the door
jamb.

Any help appreciated!

KeS