MP3 - some info.

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: MP3 - some info.
From: "Brian Garfield" <bgarfield@md.adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 20:43:20 -0500
Here's some thoughts on the MP3.
I went to my dealer a couple of weeks ago, because the last one they had (1 of
2, BTW) was still there.  They told me I could come drive it, but when I got
there, I had to commit to buying it first, gotta love that.  Then, I couldn't
drive it because a buyer was coming to get it (whom I did meet before I left).
There are only 1200 made, and they're not scheduled to make any more.
Anyway, they wanted $20,500 for it, $2000 over sticker, no negotiations.  Said
the car was in too high of demand.  I said "but it's an $18,000 Mazda".  If
you were to run this car in anything BUT G Stock (where it's going by the
way), you'd be nuts for paying a lot for it.  It's an excellent stock car, but
if you want it for anything else, it'd be A LOT cheaper to build a base
Protege.
As for the performance, a friend in Arizona bought one for his daughter.   He
races a 10AE Miata as well, and I would consider him a very good driver.  He
recently threw some OLD A008R's on the MP3 and ran it back to back against his
10AE with worn Kumho's.  **He turned almost identical times with the two cars,
and he hardly ever drives the MP3!**
The best MP3 times we're .3 off his Miata.

Take this for what it's worth, but I think, from what I've read and heard,
this may be a sleeper of a car.

Brian Garfield