Re: Start Design

To: <dg50@daimlerchrysler.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Start Design
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 01:55:54 -0600
IMHO, the fallacy in your reasoning lies in the fact that the clock is not
running. This permits you to get away with things you could not afford if
you were on the clock. Like a wider turn, or a slower turn that puts you on
the "right" side of the chute as you go through the lights.

Running this year's Nationals south course, I took a soft start because then
I did not push out to the left at that little righthand kink before the
start, which meant that once the clock was running I was positioned MUCH
better for a late apex on the first "real" turn that followed.

With a hard start I would have been faster through the kink and faster at
the startlight, but slower because of the tighter line through that first
turn. Hmmm. Sacrifice speed with the clock running or with the clock not
running? Tough choice. :-) Speed through the kink mattered much less than a
good line at the first turn, IMHO. With the clock not yet started, I had the
luxury to "give up" more at the kink in order to get that good line when the
clock WAS running.

That's how I saw the course. YMMV.

--Rocky Entriken