Re: [Solo2Atlanta] Why most autocrossers don't want their sport

To: TeamZ06@aol.com
Subject: Re: [Solo2Atlanta] Why most autocrossers don't want their sport
From: bthatch@juno.com
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 12:28:05 -0500
Mark, I hope you don't take my views personally. I know we disagree on
this topic, and that's fine.

Most of the TV production people I've heard from don't share your views
about the viability of Solo on TV. They spend a lot of time pointing out
the financial and production difficulties of making it happen. That's a
totally different thing from solo not being a good fit for TV.

Now, having said that, I firmly believe that a typical solo event,
whether Solo II or Pro Solo, AS THEY ARE RUN TODAY would be a poor fit
for TV. Dick Berger pointed out the dull and boring videos of Nationals
as an example of this. Frankly, any form of motorsport would be tedious
if you set up one camera in one spot to simply watch cars go by (yawn).

In order to be TV friendly, I would envision several things would need to
be put in place.

1. Feature a very limited number of classes (like 3 maximum) that have
visual and audio appeal. These classes would probably vary from the
typical amateur/Pro structure seen today. Perhaps a Supercar class with
Audis, Acura NSXs, BMWs, Corvettes, Vipers, Porsches and Ferraris.
Another class would appeal to the "rice-burner" group with Hondas,
Subarus, Mitsus, Neons, Escorts, etc. etc. (I would suggest both of these
classes roughly reflect World Challenge preparation allowances and the
ability to do "competitive adjustments during the season to keep the
competition even). The 3rd class should be CP or some Modified variant
(loud and fast).

2. Use a "Shootout" or "Mirrorkhana" format utilizing a drag race start
like we did in Atlanta, last year. This is very visual, a real winner is
easily seen for each "race."

3. Strict visual standards must be there so the cars and crews (with
sharp colorful uniforms) look professional and appealing. Along with this
would be some speech coaching to get the drivers to help build the
competitive drama in their interviews.

4. A GREAT production crew who can put all the above together in a fast
paced, poppin' action adventure.

5. Last but the most important, a great sponsor to fund all this. We tend
to think in terms of car parts suppliers or car associated businesses. We
need to think outside those narrow limits. Who's the sponsor of NASCAR?
Who sponsor's their teams. Perhaps a softdrink company, an insurance and
financial company or a cosmetic company might want to get in on the
ground floor and be the owner of such a series. Remember, TV audiences
buy more things than car parts. Even car nuts buy soap, clothes, food,
insurance and financial services and building supplies.

Ben