Re: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Prep/Mods in Pro Solo
From: "Josh Sirota" <josh@sirota.org>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:07:49 -0800
KWall73108@aol.com wrote:
> Roughly how many runs is that and how much do those slicks cost versus the
> DOTs cost and what's the proportion of Hooseir (short wearing) DOTs to
Kuhmo
> (long wearing) DOTs at the PROs?

We'd get between 40 and 80 nationally-competitive runs out of a set of
Formula Ford tires, and they cost roughly $600/set including mounting.

I used to run CM at Pros regularly, from '93-'97.  At the early part of that
time stretch, CM almost always made a class (it was called M3 or M2).  Then
indexing came in in '95 or '96 (can't remember) and we were all indexed
together.  The good news was that there were enough CM cars that it was
pretty much a CM-only class on the west coast so the index didn't matter at
all, except for Guy Ankeny who now had a place to play in his Ralt and was
very competitive with us, even with his index handicap.

And Alan's right, I did nothing major to the car, pretty much ever.  Very
reliable.  Others did have trouble with clutches, halfshafts, and gears, but
I didn't have any of those problems (did break 2nd gear once at a National
Tour though).

But the negatives of running a mod car in a Pro Solo are numerous.  Vern
Lyle pointed out a number of good ones, like the 18 second runs.  Too short.
And there was no contigency money to speak of.  One person from our class
might win two tires, but then there were people in Neons and BMWs at the
same events who would take home sometimes thousands of dollars -- sometimes
even without winning!  It didn't seem fair.

Eventually interest waned for all of us, and there wasn't enough new blood
in those classes, and so now you see very few mod cars at Pros.

Josh