Autocross on tv

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Autocross on tv
From: "Seth Achilles" <sachilles@sugarbush.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 10:13:32 -0500
I usually just sandbag on this list, trying to just absorb the info that's
out there.

This topic caught my attention.

I'm all for the exposure of the sport on whatever media that will do so.
However, do you really believe the sport would present itself well on TV?

I love to autocross. I also love the sports of golf and lacrosse. However, I
can't stand to watch them on TV. My local sports car club meetings always
have a tape of our events going in the background. It's nice to watch my car
go around the cones, but half an hour of all of our cars going around the
same pattern can be a bit much.
As far as spectators go, we encourage them whenever possible. That's how we
grow our own numbers. The parking lot we use has a lot of exposure. People
stop by an watch all the time, they don't stay all day, but they do stop by.
Some of them ask questions about how they can participate, some do not.
I'd love to see the sport gain TV exposure, but I doubt it will ever be more
than a few minute segment on some autosports variety show. I just don't
think the TV market would support it.

Just my opinion.

Seth Achilles
Publicity Director: Sports Car Club of Vermont
www.sccv.org