Shock Absorber rules

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Shock Absorber rules
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 16:37:55 -0500
Having been involved in this sport since 1968, I can tell you all that all
of the allowances written into the origninal Stock classes were sort of a
self defense reaction to the shoddy,low quality OEM pieces that were being
installed on cars at that time.

England was shipping us boatfulls of Triumphs and MG's on narrow wire wheels
with lever shocks.  The Europeans were a little better in that most of their
higher end products at least came in with radial tires. We were receiving
some technically interesting cars from Japan, but the bean counters there
made sure they didn't spend too much money on the parts for the initial
build.

My first new car was a 1971 Datsun 510, today considered a great handling
car. In actual fact, in full factory spec, the cheap bias ply tires, the low
quality shocks and with those long, heavy trailing arms on the rear, and no
sway bars to speak of, you could get yourself into deep positive camber
trouble during normal street driving. Autocrossing one that way must have
been like running an early Spitfire.  Ever wonder why everybody lowers their
510?

The warranty was one year, 12,000 miles. The OEM clutch lasted 13,000 miles.
(OK so I drove it hard.) The 4 1/2 inch wheels and bias ply tires were worn
out by 14,000 miles, replaced with Nova wheels and wide oval tires. The
shocks were totally shot by 15,000 miles and upgraded to Gabriels.

With the possible exception of some of the low end Korean cars, I don't see
that kind of thing happening today. A base Dodge Neon, Ford Focus or Chevy
Cavalier doesn't embarrass itself on an autocross course in pure stock trim.
In fact, the suspensions on most grocery getters today are quite
sophisticated. Add to that the fact that OEM shocks, tires etc. are lasting
much longer today.  My 240SX has 93,0000 miles on it and it still has OEM
shocks underneath, and they still feel stiff when you do a fender push test.

I think the 2002 Stock Realignmet shows that the SCCA wants to  promote the
latest cars, the C-5 Corvette and the WRX Subaru, for example, at the
expense of older vehicles. It makes sense from the factory standpoint as
well to promote a win by a new Boxter rather than one by a 914 that is
almost 30 years old.

So..since it seems that the SCCA is determined to use the Stock Classes as a
showcase for the newest and best from the auto industry, maybe we should
consider returning Stock to Showroom specs in all regards with the possible
exceptions of a cat back exhaust system, a tire rule and harnesses sets.
Then institute a five year eligibility rule for Stock Classes.

I see no problems being able to get a full range of factory parts for a car
five years of age or less. In fact, with the longevity of parts today, such
a competitor may not ever  have to change anything on the car other than
tires and brake pads.  At the end of the five year eligibility window, the
car would automatically move to Street Touring, Street Prepared, Street Mod
or wherever, but would be ineligible for further Stock Class competition.

A new guy coming in with a new Miata or Honda S2000, gets to run for five
years without having to make the investments in all shocks, sway bars and
other replaceable parts. If he stays, he may well trade off the car after
his lease is up and be back with something newer. The veterans who tend to
go to Nationals, change cars more often than five years now, so it shouldn't
impact them other than to change their development programs from replacing
major items to tweaking existing bits.

The downside here is the veteran competitor who has been driving a car that
is seven or eight years old is forced out of Stock, and a newbie coming in
with an older used car is dumped right in with prepped Street Touring or
Street Mod cars.

No.. This isn't a perfect solution, but it is one that should be thrown into
the hopper for consideration before we throw patches on an allowance package
that is almost thirty years old itseld.

Isn't winter bench racing fun?

Larry Steckel
1993 Nissan 204SX