Web domain names, was Re: NJ North Region Qs:

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Web domain names, was Re: NJ North Region Qs:
From: "fuhrmann@cpinternet.com" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 12:44:41 -0500
>From:  forwarded from Philly Region Phax list:
>In case you haven't heard, I did loose my
>domain name "AUTOX4U.COM".
>this happened by means beyond my control.
>I was able to find who has it
>now and offer to buy it back. I put in a
>bid for it a week ago to get it
>back.

That should be a good warning to everyone who registers a domain name for a
group.  Make sure that you know when the name is up for renual and who is
taking care of it.

I suspect that a few of companies look for domains that are reasonably well
placed on search engines and watch for the registration to expire.

This person was lucky.  I know of one domain that accidently was up for grabs
that turned into a porn address (even though the name could not be reasonably
stretched to mean porn).

If someone else registers the address for you, make sure it is in your name and
that you will get the renual notice.