Re: electric Impact gun info needed

To: "autox@autox.team.net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: electric Impact gun info needed
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jan 2002 22:09:27 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sun, 27 Jan 2002, matthew c. mead wrote:
> > I talked to one guy in Birmingham who uses a $20 12v wrench from Northern.
> > It spun, then caught.  The spinning inside the wrench without applying any
> > force to the nut let it break a fairly tight lug nut.  Thus, he could break
> > the nuts free with the electric gun - an important point, and my
> > understanding is that with most of the sub-$100 wrenches you still have to
> > manually break the nuts loose.  Sounded very cheap, though.
>
> I have a $25 12v impact wrench from Harbor Freight that's made by
> Chicago Electric.  I like it a lot and don't have to worry about
> recharging a battery.  I've been told it's fragile and will hose
> itself after a while.  Thankfully, it's cheap.  it seems to do
> the job.  I breaks loose my 85 ftlb torqued lug bolts in 2 - 3
> hits.

The original poster said he had a generator...

With that in mind I think you'd be an idiot not to get a 120V electric
impact gun.  I would think any reputable brand name would be fine.

Another great option is the Makita 24V cordless impact.  Bring money
though, I don't think I've ever seen 'em less than $500 anywhere.  It
really rocks however.  I've used one a couple times and its not far from a
"real" air powered 1/2" impact.

Mark