Re: Re: re: Where's the disc - The Solution...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: re: Where's the disc - The Solution...
From: <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2002 13:04:48 -0500
I'm not advocating doing away with the printed version altogether.  I would
just like to see a *useful* electronic version offered.

Dave Hardy
89 SM

Patrick Washburn <washburn@dwave.net> wrote:
> Let's not forget however, that not all are online.  Hard to beleive in these
modern times, I know, but there are those primitives that are still cling to
the printed page.  Neanderthal's!  (Sorry Eric!)   :)

> > Sure, it'd be cool if I could search and copy text out of it, but
> > the solution to that is to find a way to do it, NOT stop giving out >
the cd's...

> The solution is to do exactly what they don't want to do, and that is
publish the rules to the web.  That would allow you to have access from
anywhere, and if it was done right, it would be searchable.  Updates could
be put into the rulebook on the day of their activation, and future rule
updates could be noted in the text.  The good news is that we all have
global access to the most up-to-date rules.  The bad news is Denver doesn't
get $12-$15 (I don't remember the exact number) from all of us.

> If they have their eyes on growing solo though, I think a huge first step
would be to make the rules accessable to the public.  Asking a newbie to pay
for the rules of the game only enforces the "Secret Car Club of America"
stigma.  It sounds silly now, looking back, but at the time that I started
in this sport the lack of clear rules was quite intimidating.  After my
first event I saw that it was no big deal, but actually getting to that
first event was a huge step into the unknown.

> Getting completely modern might be a bit much to ask for all at once, but
let's try to at least get into the 90's.

> Dave Hardy
> 89 SM

> ///  Partial archives at http://www.team.net/archive
> ///  Send list postings to autox@autox.team.net