Re: Safety Belt

Subject: Re: Safety Belt
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 03:25:05 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

On Sat, 23 Feb 2002, John Lieberman wrote:
> A big THANK YOU to all of you who have responded to the nitrous issue.
> Please keep those responses coming.  MY biggest concern is this:  What
> happens if somebody accidentally (or intentionally) hits the "go" button
> while on course?  Our primary responsibility as Solo Safety Stewards is
> to insure the safety of spectators and course workers.  How can we
> insure their safety if somebody's car suddenly turns into an
> out-of-control missile somewhere on the course?  When you hit the
> nitrous, you basically double your horsepower - on the spot.  It's
> pretty easy to predict what a car's going to do with that kind of boost
> in a straight line.  But what's it going to do in a turn or in the
> middle of a slalom?  That's where MY biggest concern lies with this
> whole issue.  Your thoughts?

I'm not sure I understand why this is a safety issue at all...  Why is
using nitrous on an autox course dangerous?  Doubling the horsepower?
What about prepared cars or turbo cars or any number of other cars that
have _way_ more horsepower than stock?

I can understand a classing issue, but the safety one doesn't make sense
to me.  People do stupid things with gasoline too, but we don't ban
that...

Mark