Re: [kcautox] RE: minor rant

To: "William P. \(Pat\) Mitchell" <wpm@h2olab.com>,
Subject: Re: [kcautox] RE: minor rant
From: "Dave Hardy" <dave2020@mindspring.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 00:12:06 -0400
> Your other option is to hire an attorney, have them call the prosecuter.
> Most jurisdictions only want money. Usually double fine will get it
reduced
> to nonmoving violation. Sometimes it takes school too if its over 20 over
> the limit etc. But you are out attorney fees puls costs plus double fine.
> You save points and insurance costs.
> consider this - If you are self employed (the more you work the more you
> earn) and drive 45,000 miles per year. If you speed 10% all of the time
and
> average 60 mph. You are in the car 45,000 minutes per year or 750 hours.
> You saved 10% of the time by speeding. 10% of 60 = 54 mph average speed
> limit for 45,000 miles per year = 833 hours.  833 hours at the limit vs
750
> hours = 83 hours or just over 2 weeks of work. If you make $50,000 on 50
> weeks (you do give yourself a vacation don't you?) or $1000/week. two
weeks
> of extra work (instead of sitting in the car) = $2000 per year you can
> afford in speeding TAX by working all of the time you saved. The more you
> make or drive the more you can afford to pay. The math I used is
simplified
> but close enough. You have to deduct/add time and income for those
> jurisidictions that vary from the average and count time spent with your
> attorney (Call him/her from the car!). And you thought Attorneys have no
> redeaming value!

My wife refers to this line of thinking as "man math".  Man math is also
responsible for such gems as "Since the car is paid off, I can spend $300
per month on upgrades", and "Since the $800 programmable EFI will power a
shift light, I'm actually saving $50 since I won't have to buy one".

Dave Hardy
89 SM
DILYSI Motorsports - Drive It Like You Stole It!