Follow-up: Progressive pays autocross accident claim

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Follow-up: Progressive pays autocross accident claim
From: "Stephen Hui" <shui68@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Feb 2003 21:08:44 -0800
A week ago I crashed my Boxster S at a local autocross; shortly afterwards,
I filed a claim with Progressive, then sent mail to this list requesting
advice and suggestions.  I received several private replies and a couple on
the list  mostly helpful and/or sympathetic, but a few hostile as well (my
favorite was the guy who publicly accused me of fraud).

Well, after investigating the incident, Progressive decided to pay my claim.
  The specific exclusion that was discussed was for bodily injury or
property damage resulting from any pre-arranged or organized racing, speed
or demolition contest, stunting activity, or in practice or preparation for
any such contest or activity.  After talking to the event chair and
recording a statement in which I fully disclosed the circumstances of my
accident, they ultimately determined that autocross was not considered
racing or a speed contest because of the absence of side-by-side racing
or cash prizes.  The adjuster was very clear that each claim is evaluated on
a case-by-case basis, though, and that mine shouldnt be considered a
precedent.

My takeaway from all of this is that Progressive may not be as
autocross-unfriendly as is commonly held.  And also that I should consider
buying a nice, affordable C Stock car with more grip than power.  :-)

Thanks to all those who replied expressing sympathy or offering advice.

Steve

P.S.  To answer the question posed repeatedly since then: I lost the back
end of the car in a fast slalom on wet asphalt.  To this day Im not sure
why, but I suspect I broke the tires loose by applying too much power.
Despite immediately putting both feet in, I slid off of the paved surface
before I could regain control; I then went over a stream, through several
yards of brush, and then finally came to a halt against a fair-sized tree.
Heres a picture: http://magma.ca/~shui/graphics/boxster1.jpg.  The
estimates not yet complete, but its already north of $20k.