Insurance for a new driver?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Insurance for a new driver?
From: "Crider, James A." <JamesCrider@metaldyne.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 07:48:16 -0500
Scott Stone wrote:

>And now I get to teach my wife how to drive on the Dodge... I'm hoping the
>insurance guy will cut me a break and let me NOT name her as an insured on
>the Rx7 or it's gonna cost me a fortune having a brand new driver insured
>on the Rx7, i'm thinking.

Huh????? You marry a 16-year-old or something?  Insurance companies typically
don't give a flying intercourse about driving experience, they look at DOB and
compute temporal age, not time with a license. Hell, she's got a squeaky-clean
driving record!

That said, teaching her to drive in the Durango vs. a hyperactive RX7TT is
probably a very good idea.  And get her to an autocross school there in SFR as
soon as you can.  Even if she never autocrosses again, she'll learn more about
how to dance behind the wheel there than in years of street driving, and it'll
help her avoid incidents that many drivers don't know how to avoid.  Active
safety -- collision avoidance -- is far better than passive safety -- the
ability of the vehicle to absorb a hit and minimize impact energy transfer to
the occupants.

Jim Crider
autojim@despammed.com