Announcing: Sunriders Autocross Club

To: "autox list" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Announcing: Sunriders Autocross Club
From: "Loren Williams" <Loren@InvisibleSun.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 20:27:23 -0500
Those of you who don't live in the vicinity of Tampa, FL can just skip this.

It's official. (or as official as it needs to be for now)  The Sunriders
Miata Club has sprouted a new branch: The Sunriders Autocross Club.  Without
going into lengthy boring details, here are the basic facts:

WHO:  Anyone in the Tampa Bay area who has enjoyed, would like to enjoy,
and/or would like to continue to enjoy the Courtesy Mazda - Sunriders
Autocross series.  (gotta toss out the sponsor plug every now and then)

WHAT:  A new "club" under the Sunriders umbrella with the sole purpose of
continuing and possibly expanding the Sunriders Autocross series.

WHY:  Because the handful of "Miata dudes" who have been organizing and
doing all of the grunt work behind these autocrosses for the past few years
are getting seriously burned out.  The Sunriders Miata club accepts that
they can't continue this program without some serious help and involvement
from the local autocross community, hence a new "open" autocross club.

WHERE:  Still at St. Pete Junior College for now, though we may investigate
some other sites in the future.

WHEN:  So far this season's dates are: 9-Mar-2003, 12-Apr-2003, 17-May-2003,
21-Jun-2003, 20-Sep-2003 and 15-Nov-2003.  Pending member involvement, more
events may be added... or events may be cancelled.  I'm hoping we can at
least maintain this schedule.

If you've read this far, you probably also want to know this:  Non-member
entry fees for regular Sunriders Autocross Club events (that would be those
6 whens above) will be $30.  That still includes lunch. (by the way, we are
no longer renting helmets, they are now no-fee loaners, but we still have a
limited supply so bring yours if you have one)  If you elect to join the
Sunriders Autocross Club, annual dues are $20. (these dues are waived for
current members of the Sunriders Miata club who have already paid $30 in
annual dues)  Members get a $5 discount on their entry fees.  There will
also be members-only events which will, of course, be limited to Sunriders
Autocross Club members. (the June event may be for members only, as will the
October driver's school event)

If you were at the last Sunriders autocross, you may have noticed that we
are working to streamline our procedures and simplify the way the program
operates.  The last event was excellent, the next will be even better.  What
you may not have noticed is that as part of our new organization, each event
will have it's own chairman (and co-chairman/men).  This practice spreads
the burden of "running the show" around and helps prevent the volunteer
burnout mentioned above. (don't worry, we're prepared to give as much
guidance, instruction and help as necessary to those who volunteer to be
event chairmen)  We'll be looking to our new members to get involved and
help keep the program going.  Without your help, it could easily dissolve
within the next year or two.  With lots of people helping, we can do a lot
more with a lot less effort, and this is our goal.

So, if any of you who are interested in joining the new club want to get a
head start on learning what you can do to help, send me a note and I'll
point you in the right direction.  Hint:  I don't have a designated chairman
for any event after March 9th.  Minimal experience required.  Inquire
within.

To keep up with the latest info, join the Sunriders Autocross email group:

--
Loren Williams  | Loren@InvisibleSun.org
'96 Mazda Miata | http://InvisibleSun.org