Minor waivers

To: ".KCautox" <kcautox@yahoogroups.com>,
Subject: Minor waivers
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 18:15:39 -0600
I just got our sanctions back for the first four Salina Region events, and
with them a set of the new one-size-fits-all minor waivers.

While this new form MS-2 has supposedly been out since 3/02 this is the
first I've seen it. (When I asked for minor waivers last year, I was sent
the old forms).

There's new rules too. See http://www.scca.org/interactive/insurance.html
and download Rally/Solo Release and Waivers Guidelines
(http://www.scca.com/interactive/insurance/RallySoloRW.pdf). It's a fairly
easy 3-page document.

Most startling to me --

1. Once a minor waiver has been signed off by both parents for "all SCCA
events" and "all dates" he never has to sign a waiver form again until he is
an adult. Nor do his parents. But he does have to have a minor photo ID
issued, or keep that pink copy for show-and-tell wherever he goes (which
IMHO he should do anyway).
2. The "all events/all dates" waiver is the only acceptable waiver for a
minor-as-competitor. Lacking that, the minor must be turned away. He cannot
compete.
3. One parent can no longer sign for his kid to compete at that event only.
The one parent can sign for the kid as a non-competitor, but for that one
event only.
4. Adult friends cannot sign for a minor, even as non-competitor.
5. The only exception is a single-parent situation, and then the single
parent is asked for verification (e.g. court papers) or to sign a written
statement of single-parent status.

I called SCCA today and confirmed those points.

Looks like we need to be more diligent about these things.

My region is going to ask all parents that show up for our events to do a
new form, even if they have an old one on file. That way, we'll start fresh.

Here's another oddity...

To get the new minor waivers, ask Judy Cox in Risk Management at the Topeka
office.
But to get the adult waivers (Form MS-1), they come from Jean Crouch at SCCA
Enterprises, which is still in Centennial, Colo.

Go figure.  :-)

--Rocky Entriken