RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Mazda Rev It Up - Atlanta

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [evolution-disc.] Re: Mazda Rev It Up - Atlanta
From: "Jeff Hunt" <iconherder@donotreply.com>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 10:10:30 -0700
I was definitely hitting the rev limiter, it came on faster than I
expected.  Then I had to guess which direction to slap the shifter
in to get it to go into 2nd.  I was so disappointed when the
competition cars didn't have harnesses in them after seeing the
"chalk talk" video that tells you how to put on your harness.

It was a really fun event, and I got my moment in the spotlight as
I had the top time for at least a few minutes.

The officials did annoy me at one point though, I brought a few
friends with me who had never really autocrossed before as this
seemed like a good way to introduce them and alleviate any fears
of hurting their own cars.  Anyway, one of them had never really
driven a FWD car before and on the race-line practice course he
got into a big understeer situation and took out a ton of cones.
Now, I was watching, and I don't think he did anything unsafe at
all, he just took a corner too fast and plowed through it.  If you
ask me that's what the practice course is for, but the officials
took him aside and gave him a "warning" by making a small "x" on
his badge.  I still don't know why they did that, I mean, he was
obviously new to this, his badge said "Novice", give the guy a
break.  We saw another guy plow through cones and all he got was a
little ribbing.  Anyway, that was my only gripe.  Overall, good event.

-Jeff Hunt