Rebuttal to Eric Salem's Tantrum

To: <eric@mail.brown911.com>, "'Erik Van-der-Mey'"
Subject: Rebuttal to Eric Salem's Tantrum
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 19:05:33 -0700
Eric,

...For the record, having checked with the PCA powers that be on the left
coast none are aware of ANY Porsche-only events of an AutoX nature held
in the last few years. They do tell me that like many left coast car
clubs they do cap entries and are sometimes full before the event day....

Really Eric?  Since I posted this to the list at about 10:30 PM your time
and
you posted your "tantrum" at 12:14 AM, You are telling us all that
you went out and emailed/woke up your "PCA powers that be on the left coast"
and found this information?  Doubtful.  Who are these "powers that be"?
Name some so your sources can be checked.  Here's the story: a couple of
years ago, I helped a friend install a roll bar and harness in his 944.  As
a way of saying "thanks", he took me along to a couple of PCA autocrosses. I
ran fun runs and had a great time  There were no other cars entered except
Porsches. And there's nothing wrong with that. Its the PORSCHE club.  A
check of the PCA Zone 7 competition rules at:

http://www.pca.org/zone7/rules/2003_Autocross.pdf

Shows the following text (extracted from the PDF)

2003 Zone 7 Competition Series Rules
Segment II - Autocross Series Competition Regulations
1. Definitions
1.1 Autocross. An autocross is an all-forward-motion skill driving event
with a flying start and
finish, in which one car at a time is timed over a course laid out on a
paved area. The course
may or may not cross over itself.
1.2 Slalom. A slalom is the same type of event as an autocross, except the
start and finish
points are at two different locations.
1.3 Hillclimb. An event similar to a slalom where the course is made up of
existing public or
private roads, with a generally increasing altitude, and where hazards to
the car/driver from
off-course deviations usually are substantially greater than in an autocross
or slalom.
1.4 Only events falling under the definitions of Sections 1.1 or 1.2 shall
count as official events
for the Series.
2. Eligibility
2.1 All PCA members in good standing who hold a valid driver's license for
their state and who
have paid their registration fees and have signed all registration forms and
releases will be
eligible. (Note: A person must be 18 years of age to be a member of PCA.)
See Awards
Section 7 for points and awards eligibility. Any legitimate prospective
regional member
shall be allowed to enter but shall not be eligible to compete for points or
placing. Their
results shall be shown at the end of each class in the results. ("Fun Run")
2.2 Any automobile that is manufactured or sold by the Porsche Factory and
for which a class is
provided shall be eligible.
2.3 Entrants shall compete only in the car for which they are registered for
the event, and an
entrant may only register one car for each event.
2.3.1 A car may be entered by no more than two drivers in any one class, nor
for more
than four total drivers.
2.3.2 A car may only be entered in one category. (See Section 9)
2.3.3 Women entrants may compete in either the men's or women's classes.
However, the
class selected at the third event of the year (or next latest event if the
individual
did not enter the third event) will be the class (men's or women's) the
woman must
compete in for the rest of the year.
2.4 All cars must successfully pass the technical inspection before running
the event.
2.5 All participants (drivers, workers, etc.) must sign the Event Release
Form.
2.6 Entrants may be asked for valid PCA Membership Card and valid driver's
license at registration

As you will note, section 2.2 says that its only open to Porsches.  I also
talked to my good Friend, Jim Biesemeyer.  Jim is a member of the Golden
Gate Chapter, PCA.  According to Jim, occasionally, they have allowed PCA
members to take fun runs with non-Porsche cars.  But they have never allowed
non-members to do so. So I don't know where or who you got your info from
but its wrong.

...Don't start insulting car clubs and then when called on it encourage
someone to 'take a chill'....

My only mistake there was overestimating your intelligence.  It requires
intelligence to recognize humor. I tried to give you the benefit of the
doubt with my follow-up email, but its clear that you're not smart enough to
see it.

...You can defend and document your position....

I think that I just did that (see above)

... you can quitely slink back
into the swamp you came from. Whatever makes you happy....

Now, now, Eric.  Any student of geography knows that there are few swamps in
Northern California (by the way, that was a weak attempt at humor).

...You may even call the PCA the 'big watch, small penis crowd' and on that
front I'd probably agree with you,...

Actually, that never occurred to me.  I had not heard that one.  Do you know
what is the difference between Porsches and Porcupines?

 ...but if you want to cite an
exclusionary event let's get some kind of detail to back up the claim....

I think I just did (above).  But its not exclusionary, its the Porsche Club.
Its logical that the Porsche Club would have events for Porsches.  I made a
joke. There was no intent to offend.  Get over it.

...In summary, either show up in Topeka in September and demonstrate why
the 1200 hundred of us are wrong; especially a certain FP national
champion that AutoX's next to never yet shows up and kicks ass anyway...

I'm not sure how going to the Nationals would "demonstrate why 1200 hundred
(did you mean 12 hundred, because 1200 hundred is a whole lot?) of us are
wrong".

....just stop raking the muck....

At this point, I'm just answering your emailed questions concerning my
original post.
I'm not sure how doing this is "raking the muck".  If you don't want to talk
about
this subject, stop replying with questions and accusations.  You have the
power.

...so we can go back to arguing about shocks, tires and rules....

Actually the original post was an opinion about the rules.  But a greater
issue is "who elected you the arbiter of what can/cannot be discussed ?"
Perhaps you should create a FAQ for the autocross list so everybody's up to
date on what's ok to discuss (by the way, that was an example of sarcasm).

Have a Good Day,

Hugh