Re: Help me pick a solo 2 car for my wife

To: "Danny Castillo" <dcastillo@axxion.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help me pick a solo 2 car for my wife
From: "Will Kalman" <will@kalman.org>
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:29:10 -0700
'91 - '96 Escort GT?

You get the depreciation benefit of a name only slightly more revered then
"Gremlin" or "Pacer" while bagging yourself a fun-to-drive, sporty Mazda
Protege (which will probably cost you more, all things the same). Even
stock, most of the auto mags pointed out it's drop-throttle tossability.
Throw on a basic coilover kit and some ZX2 S/R "trunk kit" shocks ($200
total!!!), and a big rear away bar and you've got something fun to drive
(and when driven fast, lots of dropped jaws).  With the hatchback, you can
put the Z06 tires IN the car.

I picked one up for $1500 in the local paper and we're using it as the
family hauler for now.  They're as reliable as stone and are powered by the
Mazda BP1.8 as seen in the Miata.  Easy to work on, too.

If you're looking towards RWD as a ramp-up to the Z06, maybe a mid-80's AE86
Corolla?  Throw in a limited slip and play in STX.  Go drifting on alternate
weekends :P

Will Kalman
'91 Escort GT
Cal Club #232 STS