Re: Solo II car

To: "Eric Linnhoff" <knuckledragger@kcweb.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Solo II car
From: "Steve Hoelscher" <stevehh@hiwaay.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:12:12 -0500
Eric Linnhoff wrote:

> That's the rub, Steve.  I can buy the DOM tubes necesary to install a full
> roll cage in my car for about $200.  But the labor to do so properly is
> worth well over $1000.  Somewhere, a fair value for labor has to come into
> the equation.  Otherwise the "little" guy will never stand a chance
against
> those with full fabrication shops and paint booths at their disposal.

Eric, did you cut and paste this directly off the GRM whiner's forum? ;)
Seriously, how are you going to police labor?   The contest is about what
can be done with $200x, some effort and creativity.  If you want to win you
have to work harder and be more creative than the other competitors and it
doesn't matter what the competition is.  Whining that someone else has more
time/effort/resources than you will not change anything.   Rule number one
in life is: Life isn't fair.   Rule number two is:  Whining doesn't change
rule number one.

There were lots of people at the event that were there to have fun and knew
they had no shot at the overall.  They did have fun.  Those that were in the
running had worked very hard on their cars.  Scott and Denny worked almost
every evening and weekend for a year to build that car.  The typical car at
that event could have been done in a few weeks.  If you want to beat them
you have to find a way you can do it.  By the way, neither Scott or Denny
have anything more than a single bay garage.  Yep, no "full fabrication shop
and paint booth".  The car was that good because of the effort they put into
it.  They found a way to make or buy the parts they needed.  If you don't
have the skills or access to the fabrication stuff, then you need to find a
way to solve that problem.  They did and if they can, you can.

For you and everybody else on this list that think this way, I would suggest
you study the ways of successful people, you will be enlightened.  Some
years ago I read a book that changed the way I approached competition.  It
was written by Bill Parcells (coach of the superbowl champion New York
Giants) and titled:  "Finding a Way to Win".

Steve Hoelscher
#27 DSP