Re: interesting cylinder head design

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: interesting cylinder head design
From: Matthew Carson <mcars@vt.edu>
Date: Sat, 23 Aug 2003 01:24:34 -0400
I have to be a bit skeptical of this.  Sure it may do well from a
mechanical standpoint, but what about airflow?  I can't see how you can get
the airflow you want from air trying to make it through a spinning ball
like that.  That means the air would basically be spinning as it entered
the combustion chamber, and would be aimed at different points as the ball
spins.  Maybe good for some engines, but not a lot...  I know our Winston
Cup engines like nice laminar airflow.  You would have to be able to draw
the air through the ball in a very tiny amount of time, even tinier as the
revs go up.  I just don't see that happening.  Also, how do you seal
against combustion chamber pressure with a spinning ball?  Even if you got
the mating surfaces between the ball and the head nice and smooth with very
small clearances, you have to have clearance for oil, which lets out
cylinder pressure.  And remember it will change temperatures rapidly as
well, and will have a large temperature gradient in the ball itself.  Also,
how would you oil it to keep the oil out of the combustion chamber?

-Matt