RE: The death of prepared?

To: <Smokerbros@aol.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: The death of prepared?
From: "Eric Salem" <eric@mail.brown911.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 00:01:37 -0600
<<
Well, that's not the way it's done.  The protestee has to provide
certain
documentation as to how (s)he has prepared the car.  If the protest
doesn't
include something that's in your shop manual, then you have to defend
that
modification with the S2RB, GCR, GTCS, PCS, SRFS, or whatever applies.

Okay, that's fine for newer cars, but there just aren't all that many
factory shop manuals out there for a lot of the prepared cars. Maybe if
the rule specifically said the manual doesn't have to be a factory
manual there would be some chance of making the rule workable.

But if the SEB is asking an FP 914/6 driver to produce a factory manual
or go home what you're really saying is don't run national level events.
Certianly the same situation exists for other cars in other classes. I
should consider myself lucky as I'm slow so a protest is unlikely and my
911 is only a '72 so the manuals were only $1300. I'd hate to be a
Fordhal, Leeds, Jackson or Huffman with a 914/6. It's a lot cheaper to
just go run open track events and local stuff.

Certainly the early 'vettes, Italian stuff and Lotus's are in the same
boat.