R-tire rule

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: R-tire rule
From: Alan Dahl <alandahl@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 10:35:20 -0700
Up to now I've been on the side of the folks who are against banning
R-tires but my disappointment with the new Hoosier A3S04 in all three
areas of cost, grip and wear has made me come around a bit, at least to
the point of thinking that it's worthwhile to discuss solutions even if
I think it's going to be difficult if not impossible to come up with
something workable.

On Apr 27, 2004, at 7:19 AM, kwh29@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I challenge you to divert your energy into attempting to write a tire
> rule that:
>
> --Doesn't alienate a top supporter of the sport (Hoosier Tire!)
> --Doesn't automatically remove large numbers of cars from
> competitiveness thanks to low size availability.  (Try to find Falken
> Azenis for a 1981 Scirocco or 2004 Z06)
> --Doesn't force people to change tires from stock if they choose to
> run that way (think Elise with its factory R tires)

That's been the challenge and is why no one has been able to come up
with a workable tire rule. Short of a spec tire which comes in every
size from the 10" old-Mini size up to 19" it's hard to see what could
work. Still that's not a reason to give up and not try. So instead of
arguing why don't we challenge ourselves to write a few rule proposals
in SCCA-legalese, throw them out for public critique and see what
happens? Could be fun and maybe someone can write something that is at
least good enough to send in to the SEB? Personally I'm not so sure it
could be done but it could be a lot of fun to try. Anyone want to step
up to the plate?

But for right now let's just work on writing a fair and enforceable
tire rule, anyone feel like being first? Good luck!

- Alan Dahl

P.S. I'll suggest my same tongue-in-cheek solution to the tire problem
that I did for the shock problem. You can use any tire that you can buy
at Sears (G).

Alan Dahl                                                 email:
alandahl@mac.com
Federal Way, WA, USA                         ICQ: 52688023
http://homepage.mac.com/alandahl