Re: [evolution-disc.] protecting timer displays

To: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] protecting timer displays
From: Travis Dixon <travisd@tubas.net>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 15:17:45 -0400 (EDT)
Mark,
        We use the larger Chronomix displays, but we just bought a couple of
Gator keyboard cases to transport them in.

        http://www.gatorcases.com/sections/prdct/prdct-keyboard.htm

They have a couple of different ones. The ones we got were The 261R's which fit
the XXX.XXX 8" Chronomix displays very very well. I tucked in a couple of
miscellaneous
pieces of foam at the ends to keep a hard hit from shiftin it side to side, but
otherwise
the built-in velcro straps work very well. With the RaceAmerica's being thinner
you *might* even be able to fit them both in one case with a piece of foam in
between.
I would suggest a trial fit first though. The 261R is the smallest hard "flight
case"
that they have, but if your truck is sufficiently organized then the softer
ones might
be fine. The extra room isn't bad though to stick cables and accessories in if
you can
fab up a little divider.

BTW, I found them for $50/ea less at a local large music Store (Washington
Music Center
fmrly Chuck Levin's) in Maryland. That was $50 less than prices I was seeing
for online
places. I think we paid $150/ea for the 251R's.

BTW, The music store was also the place to go for cabling too. I just make up
all new timer cables using Whirlwind Mic cable and Neutrik XLR connectors. 10x
better
than the CrapShack stuff I had been using (duh) and not any more expensive
really.
The cable was $0.35/foot and is really really nice stuff and is designed to be
drub around and moved and wound and unwound. The Neutrik's are worth it just
from
the strain relief on them but were still only about $2/ea I believe. If I did it
again I would spend time to hunt down the Neutrik's in the waterproof version.
Don't forget to factor in shipping as well - 1000' of cable isn't light!.

Can't help the RA cable strain relief - we don't have any RA gear.