Re: [evolution-disc.] Trailer Balance question

To: evolution-discussions@yahoogroups.com,
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] Trailer Balance question
From: Mark Andy <mark@sccaprepared.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Aug 2004 14:50:11 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004, Matt Murray wrote:
> This question is to the folks who trailer on a regular basis.
>
> My tire trailer, when level is almost balanced, to the extent that the
> tongue is relatively light (10 pounds?). I've got about 320 pounds in
> wheels/tires, and the trailer itself is about 250 pounds. If I tilt the
> tongue up it will eventually flip to the back of the trailer, but when
> level, it does stay forward.
>
> Is this safe? I seem to remember 10% of the trailer weight should be on
> the tongue. I'd rather put less downward weight on the hitch, unless it
> is unsafe. A normal car is towing this, not a truck/SUV.

Chances are that a tire trailer wouldn't weigh enough to cause a problem.
in any event.  Have you noticed anything while driving with this setup or
are you just asking out of curiosity?

That said, yes you really should have 10% minimum tounge weight so that
the trailer doesn't try to lift your rear wheels off the ground (with
predictable consequences).  As such, you ought to have 70 lbs or so tounge
weight.

This shouldn't cause you any problems at all with any hitch / car you
should be towing anything with.  Its essentially a fairly heavy suitcase.

Mark