Honda Alignment question,

To: pgh_autox@yahoogroups.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Honda Alignment question,
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 05 Sep 2004 17:42:56 -0400
Guys,
An alignment question for all the Honda fans.

The car is my 1992 Civic LX (the worlds slowest Honda) with the 1.5 litre
and auto trans. There is about 156,000 miles on the odo.

This spring I put a set of Sumitomo all season tires on the front. They
performed pretty good I thought for an inexpensive all season tire. This car
is simply not fast enough to autocross, so all miles are done on the street.

I had noticed some wear on the inside rib of the tire, so I scheduled my
annual state inspection and told them to check the alignment.

Today, I was changing oil and checking things out for the inspection and I
found that both of the Sumitomo's had corded on the inside rib.  Outside of
that inside rib, the rest of the tires look like they could go at least one
more summer.

I know this condition means either too much toe out, or too much negative
camber or both. I don't remember tires being eaten this way in the past.

Is there something mechanical outside of basic alignment parameters that can
be causing this?  And any suggestions on alignment settings you have found
work well on strictly street driven cars.

As usal, thanks for the help.

Larry Steckel