Re: 131 SS (elise classing)

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 131 SS (elise classing)
From: "David Fauth" <dfauth@frii.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 07:44:07 -0600 (MDT)
Randy Chase said:
> The most depressing part of the day was finding we had corded the front
> 205-16 Hoosiers. AFTER 20 RUNS!  That is nuts. We tried running them with
> higher pressures, but the car handled much worse when we did. Dropping the
> fronts to 35psi seemed to help the handling, but the result was that the
> 04 Hoosiers corded on the outer corner.

"...the car handled much worse..."  Can you expand on this?  How was it
worse?  Did the lower pressures just make it more friendly?  I've found
that the lower pressures in Hoosiers are a little more forgiving, but not
quite as fast in some cases.  Also, they're not as crisp, so turn-in
suffers.

>From what I've experienced, the S04 Hoosiers need a lot of pressure.  If
you don't run the high pressures, you cord the outside edge quickly.  I
believe that's a known characteristic of the S04 as Hoosier has reminded
me (every time I've ordered) that I need to run significantly higher
pressures than I did on the same size S03.  Consequently, I've been
running around 7psi higher (in the low 50s) than I did in the S03s with
great results.  Since you didn't have a terminal push or a heavy FWD car,
I'm guessing the whole problem is too low of pressure.

Later,
David Fauth
#119 BimmerHaus DSP '95 BMW 325is