Re: [evolution-disc.] PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing

To: Dick Rasmussen <rasmussend@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: [evolution-disc.] PRO/Car and Driver Schedule and Classing
From: Brian <bmc@snort.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 15:00:53 -0500
On Fri, Feb 25, 2005 at 01:57:08PM -0500, Dick Rasmussen wrote:
> Not perfect. No slicks or non production based or formula cars :-(

You must not be a lawyer (or a hacker :P).

Most of the FM's I've seen lately are Formula Vees.  The motors used
in Formula Vees are listed in the "VW" car section, Touring 4 (T4).

First note this:

    Fourth level classes (Open Sport and Open Touring) are the
    unlimited outlaw cars of the Car and Driver Race Series. These
    classes are open to all cars and have no restrictions on
    modification points.

Then, when looking at each section of the rules, you see something
about open modification:

    Open Modification
    150*    Any and all other modifications that meet the minimal
            requirements but do not exceed the restrictions or any
            combination of modifications that exceed 150 points
            * Automatically bumps to Modified classes

So you "started out" with a VW, and you replaced everything except the
engine block, which you did massive tweaking, which is allowed.
According to my reading the rules, thats completely acceptable.

Got something other than a VW?  Pick up a washer from a car that is
listed as "acceptable" and "replace" everything on the car but that
washer.  Sure, you would be listed in modified or unlimited, but you
can still compete!

Brian