Tiedowns on a new trailer

To: ".Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tiedowns on a new trailer
From: "Rocky Entriken" <rocky@tri.net>
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 14:29:59 -0500
My stepson has a new trailer and we need to install tiedowns. Just bought
eight D-rings to install in the wooden floor of the trailer. The plan is to
use those straps that go over the wheels to hold the car, four of them, one
on each wheel.

Question -- where to put the D-rings?

Do we do it so the tiedown goes straight down from the wheel?

Do we do it so the tiedown reaches some length forward from the wheel?

I'm kind of thinking: Front wheels -- the one behind goes straight down and
the one in front reaches forward, creating a "basket" that pulls the car
forward. Rear wheels, just the opposite, so the "basket" pulls the car back
(the catch being that the car will sit very close to the back of the trailer
to get ~200 lbs of tongue weight so it doesn't have very far back to reach.

Most of these are going to be bolted through the wooden floor, recessed into
the floor. It's possible the back two could end up welded to the  back
metalwork of the trailer frame.

Any thoughts from those more experienced with trailer setup? (mine is a
totally different setup, so it provides me no experience/reference to do
this).

--Rocky Entriken