the Explorer (not) towing w/ uhaul car trailer blues

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: the Explorer (not) towing w/ uhaul car trailer blues
From: kevin <kevinb@pyro.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:32:05 -0500
Hi Gang,

I am hoping to tow my newly running project car to an event or two this
summer. In the past I've just driven, now I may want to tow. In trying to
be pro-active I started looking at trailer hitches for my Explorer. I was
thinking I'd rent a trailer and see how it went a time or two. I must have
missed the news a year ago, but U-haul no longer rents trailers to be towed
my a Ford Explorer (but Mercury Mountaineer is ok!!!) I just called them to
confirm the insanity, Google brings up a story saying it's related to
'some' accidents'  and lawyers and so on. OK, fine ..whatever.

So, presuming I can find a local company that will rent a car trailer to
me, any tips on trailer hitches, things to avoid? It's a 4l V6 '95 Explorer
(and FWIW AWD) and I'm hoping to tow a 1400lb Mini.  I didn't think I was
asking to my of my vehicle.

Kevin
'60 mini