Re: Slow Courses On Big Sites Is Not Fun!

To: "adam popp" <raft321@fuse.net>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Slow Courses On Big Sites Is Not Fun!
From: "Rick Brown" <free2000@quixnet.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:18:34 -0700
And as a reminder, the rule that pertaines to speeds, 2.1.A. of the 2005
S.C.C.A National Solo2 rulebook states:

"Courses must be tight enough so that cars run the entire course in their
lower gears. Speeds on straight stretches should not normally exceed the low
60's (mph) for the fastest Stock and Street Prepared category cars. The
fastest portions of the course shall be those most remote from spectators
and property. Turns should not normally allow speeds in excess of 45 mph in
unprepared cars. It must be remembered that sites themselves vary and not
all sites will safely support the speeds shown in these guidelines (see
Section 1.3). Conformity to these speed guidelines does not preclude
reasonable and prudent consideration of the conditions encountered."

We (CalClub) has been told by some SSS that National office is cracking down
on this.  Since low 60's refers to fastest Stock or SP cars, it is
reasonable to assume that some Prep/Mod cars will reach 70, so I don't see a
problem unless you expect to go 70 in a Stock or SP car.

 " Now people, why are you in autocrossing if you don't want to go fast?"

I don't autocross just to go fast,  although I admit I drive a kart to
autocross fast :-), but to really go fast I go to a track.  Either a kart
track or a time trial event in a car.