Speaking of numbers...

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Speaking of numbers...
From: "Mark J. Bradakis" <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:14:13 -0600
The question about the biggest class at Nationals reminded me of something
I was going to mention earlier.  In years past, August has been a busy
month for the autox list on Team.net.  But as more and more folks get
computer savvy and other sites and communication methods become available,
list traffic has dropped.  Here's a message count for the previous five
years:

2004   139
2003   254
2002   526
2001   697
2000  1412

Wow, a tenth of what it used to be 5 years ago.  On the one hand, it does
mean less work for me in dealing with bad addresses, over quota mailboxes,
folks who can't figure out that the line in every message that says

means to send your unsubscribe and change address requests to
majordomo@autox.team.net ;-)

Currently, though, I do have a bit more time on my hands, as after 24 years
with the University of Utah's School of Computing I've been laid off.  Not
fun.  I''ve only been off a week, so I'm not too worried about finding a
new position in the Unix sys admin area, we shall see.  Being a jobless bum
at the moment should make no difference for any of the Team.Net services.
We'll see what the situation is in a few months, there might be a fund
drive coming up in October ;-)

By the way, I had an offer to drive a Prepared TR6 at Topeka, but with no
visible means of support I decided it might be better to curtail the travel
plans.  Drat.

mjb.