Re: Rotary torque & noise

To: Kit Wetzler <kitwetzler@mindspring.com>
Subject: Re: Rotary torque & noise
From: "Michael R. Clements" <mrc01@flash.net>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2000 17:25:50 -0800
Kit Wetzler wrote:

> Andy McKee wrote:
> > a slower ground speed than the one at high rpm(duh).  However their
> > acceleration potential at those differing speeds will be the same because
> > the torque is the same (disregarding the differing air resistance due to >
>speed).
>
> So, you're saying that each car, both 500rpm short of redline with a
> perfectly flat torque curve, one at 13mph and one at 28 mph will have
> the same acceleration potential, with identical drivetrains?  Drivetrain
> and valvetrain losses go up as rpm goes up, and of course air resistance
> would go up.  I suspect that the higher horsepower curve car might have
> less accelerative potential.

Now that you're introducing real-world factors, let me introduce
another. The higher revving engine (B) is usually smaller and
lighter than the engine that gets the same torque at lower RPM
(B). This would be a point in favor of the car equipped with
engine B (reducing its overall weight), and would perhaps
overcome the additional frictional and inertia losses of running
at higher RPM. Also, using a Wankel would help too, since you
have dramatically reduced inertial losses at high RPM.

Have we kicked this horse to death yet, or is it still twitching?

--
Michael R. Clements
mrc01@flash.net