Kumho size for Miata?

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Kumho size for Miata?
From: Keith Hearn <khearn@Legato.COM>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2000 16:13:56 -0800
I've got a '99 Miata with the factory 15x7" alloy wheels. I'm going to
  get some Kumho Victoracer V700's for autocrossing.

The V700 is available in 205/50-15 or 225/50-15.

The car came from the factory with 195/50-15 Michelin Pilots. I'm
  curently running Toyo T1-S's in 205/50-15, which is the largest
  Toyo recommends for a 7 inch rim width.  Kumho says you can run
  the either the 205's or the 225's on a 7 inch rim.

I guess my question really is, is the 225 "too much tire" for a stock
  Miata?  The wider tire will be taller, thus raising my effective
  gear ratio, plus it will be heavier. Is this going to hurt my
  acceleration too much?

I'm also concerned about whether a 225 width (9.17 inch section
  width according to their web page) is really going to work on a 7
  inch rim.

What size race tires are other Miata drivers using for autocrossing, and
  what do you think is best?

  Thanks,

  Keith Hearn
  '99 Miata 10AE "Sexy Sadie" the Sapphire Shark
  Milpitas, CA