Re: Thoughts - walking course

To: Kevin_Stevens@Bigfoot.com, "BayArea Team.Net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Thoughts - walking course
From: Rich Urschel <OSP13@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 23:33:47 -0500
Kevin Stevens wrote:

> Be interesting to hear some others' techniques.

My short term memory sucks and I'm really, really too lazy
to repeatedly walk a course, so I have a totally different
approach. My basic approach is to late apex and come out
of each turn on the inside to give myself room to maneuver
while getting down as much power as possible. When I
walk a course, I'm looking for exceptions to my normal
line. Yesterday, that was to go deep for the right hander
leading to the bump, late brake and go wide over the
bump, really late apex the right hander opening onto the
back straight, late brake on the mini hill at the end of
the back straight, late apex the right hander leading
to the last straight staying on the inside out of the
deep water in the first run group, and to go deep
into the last turn.

Now, even that is too much to remember and bother
thinking about while driving, so while walking, as I
determine each exception I stop and go back to
memorize what the spot I want to go to looks like.
Then during the run I look ahead, recognize the spot
and go there without thinking about it. Truth be known,
I really suck on days when there are a kazillion
people walking the course in bunches and all talking
at once.

The only conscious thought I had during any of my runs
was on the second when I tried running my normal line
everywhere (0.9 seconds slower). That sole thought was
that I could not see a thing while shifting to third, getting
the wipers turned on (and off)  before braking for the
final turn. I wish I could afford fender flares.
Rich

Ps. Somewhere in the rule book it says courses should not be
a test of memory.