Why I Go To Duel @ DeAnza

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Why I Go To Duel @ DeAnza
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:10:40 EST
John Kelly writes (in part)

<<   There is no class groupings for the grid, just a line. Get in line
 and wait your turn. Be there by 7 a.m. or you may not be allowed an entry.
 Just because you get there at the early hour is no guarantee you won't run
 late in the afternoon.  >>

Actually, they grid you in lines, then they call each line in order.  When
you go through tech, your car immediately goes to a grid line.  Going back to
the pits isn't an option.  So, if you tech early, you run early.  If you want
to run later in the day, go to breakfast and come back when the tech line has
gotten shorter.

<<  As my one visit was a courtesy deal, I have no idea
 if they produce results. I suspect they do award trophies but have no idea
 what classification system they use. Their rules tend to be several YEARS
 behind the rest of the world.  >>

Results are sent out, and if you don't stay for your trophy, they send it to
you.  Classes are SCCA Solo2, and the last few years the classes have been
CURRENT with SCCA.  They have OSP, but may not have STS, STU, STR, SM, and
certainly don't have F125.  Also, no trucks are allowed.

<<  There are trees and grassy area surrounding the site and it has a
 party atmosphere. Some people tell me they love the applause when they
 leave the course after a run.  >>

I've said in the past that it's an okay autocross, but a great event!  The
crowd brings their blankets and lawn chairs, and their Weather Goddess is
very good.  Usually sun bathing is equally as important as the autocrossing.
You see cars there that don't come out to our events, and the social scene is
great.  I see people there that I haven't seen since the previous year's
Duel.  Most of the announcing is done by Mike Camicia, and all of us that
announce have a lot of fun with the competitors.

Yes, the crowd is appreciative of your efforts. If anyone from SCCA is going
(running, or just watching), we should find the shade of atree and set up our
own little encampment.  Then we can have our own social event!  After all,
the social scene at any event (even ours) just adds to our enjoyment...

Charlie Davis