SFR and National Courses (Was:: STS Class Supported in SFR)

To: "Bay_Area_Autocross_List" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: SFR and National Courses (Was:: STS Class Supported in SFR)
From: "Boris Elpiner" <boriselp@altavista.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 00:45:17 -0800
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>

> IMHO, there is NEVER enough data upon which to base a PAX number! The
> differences in course design between what we see here and the other regions
> is significant. Only the Topeka courses are similar to ours.

Aaah!!??? Excuse me John, but comparing typical SFR courses to Topeka's  is
like comparing the Altamont oval track  to Talladega or Indy.

National courses are designed to challenge the best drivers in the sport, while
recent SFR courses are designed to pump through a large number of newcomers in
the safest possible fashion. And our preferred sites are limiting the course
design as well. I'm not criticizing. I think it's the right thing for the
region and If I were to chair an SFR event, I would have to take those
constrains in consideration. But these courses don't help much in preparing for
big events. I'm not talking about competitiveness, pressure etc. I'm talking
about learning how to memorize large, complex course, how to develop the
strategy  and implement it.

For all of you who have never done a National event and wondering what are we
talking about, try an AAS weekend sometime. Frank Stagnaro, AAS course design
chief, is one of the course designers in Topeka this year. This is the great
opportunity to drive National type courses close to home. Try it, I think
you'll enjoy it.

Boris.