Re: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing

To: bay area list <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ethical Question regarding Autocrossing
From: lbc8 <lbc8@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 22:33:06 -0700
OK I guess I'll pitch in my $0.02 on this one as well.

My answer is...yes, I would go and correct a mistake, even if it costs me a
potential win (or even the overall championship). Like Jerry pointed out, I
wouldn't enjoy getting points that I feel I didn't really deserve either.
I'd feel guilty if I received my 1st place trophy at the awards banquet
(this is a hypothetical scenario that most likely will not be happening
anytime in my autocrossing career of course), knowing that I had only won
because of some mistake in Round 11 that was never picked up. What would my
fellow competitors be thinking as they see me receive that trophy?..."grrr,
that bastard only won 1st place because of that unreported DNF in Round
11." On the other side of the picture, I'd too would be a bit miffed if I
knew that someone beat me because of some mistake in the results.

That said, I applaud the person who DQ'd himself on his unreported DNF on
sunday, thereby costing him a win, and possibly costing him a chance to win
the championship. I'd hope that there are more people out there who'd do
the same under similar circumstances.

Elbert Chin
98 Prelude #32 GS-r