Re:Killer Pintos

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Killer Pintos
From: Dennis Hale <dhale_510@yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Sep 2000 08:05:47 -0700 (PDT)
The Killer Pinto program was a community service
program. Kids on the edge were enticed to pass their
classes by being offered a chance to race/autocross.
The cars were donated for tax write off specials and
the kids combined parts in the school shop to sort of
make them run. There were three high schools and an
Explorer scout troop involved as I recall. The cars
were delivered by parents and a couple of times in a
transporter truck [Sacramento and Maggie's debut as I
recall]. The program ended when we lost Pleasanton.
The DeAnza and Gunn High programs have some
similarities today. The average yuppie SFR
Championship oriented autocrosser didn't get it, and
still doesn't.
I had the Moffett field deal setup the same way, but
more important issues within SFR killed that. The
Crow's Landing and Marina deals are setup to benefit
local charities and somewhat qualify as community
service programs. Paying exorbitant rent to publicly
financed ballparks is quite another matter methinks....

=====
Dennis Hale