[Resend] More nationals update... post-kumho party

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: [Resend] More nationals update... post-kumho party
From: "Darren P. Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 16:34:28 -0700
Note, apparently this didn't go through last night but it contains some
interesting tidbits....  I'll try to post more tonight following the awards
banquet!!!

-----

Just got back from the Kumho reception.  We were going to go pick up a few
appetizers before heading out to dinner but I guess we got there a little
too late and everyone from SFR was already gone... except Ben (who I didn't
know was coming until he showed up yesterday) and Scot and new-bride Maria
and Tony & Vic (not married yet afaik) :)

More news I forgot to mention: Ben is doing awesome in Don's supra and is
planning to do much better tomorrow on the south course that is fast and
open (Frank Stagnaro).  Don is doing quite well and I think just a little
out of the trophies.

Speaking of the courses, I can't upload a map but the South Course is quite
typical of your average AAS course.  Nothing too abrupt, with a long third
gear slalom (32 paces) in the middle then some tight sweepery stuff at the
finish.  The north course is a fairly non-typical Karen Babb (Northwest)
with some interesting elements including a fair amount of offsets and weird
2 cone slaloms.

More interesting news.  Steve Johnson (new CEO) spoke at the ProSolo awards
banquet and he seemed really cool.  He said to grab him and talk to him
whenever we see him.  We saw him at the BBQ place at lunch but he was
rushing out (avoiding someone complaining about recruiting flaggers) :) so
I'll have to air my grievances later (more contingency!!!).  Steve isn't
driving this event but will be helping shag cones throughout the
event.  Anyone ever seen Nick Craw do that?

Next up tomorrow is the final day of first group competition.  Then the
second awards banquet of the week, ugh...  we're all hanging in
there.  Amazingly, today ran extremely well (except registration only being
open for an hour in the morning) and cars stopped running at 4:30ish and
that includes the massive CP bunch!

        --Darren