Sound question Don McKenna, where are you?

To: "bay area team.net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Sound question Don McKenna, where are you?
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 20:44:49 -0700
To the regions that actively do sound control at autocrosses:
I'm sending this out in hopes Don McKenna will reply.
--Pat Kelly

Subject: Noise complaints
Date:Fri, 29 Sep 2000 23:50:32 -0400
From:Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Organization:University of Pennsylvania
 To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>

How loud are street tires?  I remember many years ago in Finger Lakes
Region, we started doing sound control.  I believe our limit was
95 dBA at 50 feet, and nobody had much trouble getting their exhaust
systems under that limit (though a bunch of folks had to spend money,
and many got pretty creative).

But as I recall, the squeal of street tires was louder than that.
Can anyone quantify how much louder?

For those clubs that have had noise complaints, what were the nature of
those complaints?  Were people complaining about exhaust or tires?

We have options on a site with a great lot, but I think it's far too
close to residential neighborhoods to use.  I'm hoping to collect
information before we start using the site in an effort to determine
whether it's worthwhile even to try.  Any information, however
anecdotal, is quite welcome.  Good hard data is even better.

Thanks!

Mark