Re: RWD setup(s)

To: "Bryan Heitkotter" <Bryan64@earthlink.net>,
Subject: Re: RWD setup(s)
From: "Scot Zediker" <roadsterboy@earthlink.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 17:58:54 -0800
----- Original Message -----
From: "Bryan Heitkotter" <Bryan64@earthlink.net>
To: "Greg Umbay" <greg_umbay@yahoo.com>; "Bay Area Autocross"
<ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2000 4:45 PM

> I say, and a few listers will likely agree with me, that if you want a
> realistic racing simulator, pick up Papyrus' Grand Prix Legends for PC.
And
> do try not to spin out more than 10 times on your first lap.  ;-)

Although I've never driven GPL, I have both CART Racing and NASCAR Racing 2
from Papyrus.  In some respects these two are better than GPL because you
can't flip your car ;)

However, both require some "seat time" before you can start turning
respectable lap times.  I think CART has been discontinued; NASCAR 2 has
been replaced by NASCAR 3.

Basic setup rules for both, as applies to road courses:  Springs (the game
just calls 'em "shocks," with a combined setting for both in the Setup page)
should be softer in the rear than in front.  This is to hook the car up
better coming out of turns.  The same applies to swaybars (not adjustable in
NASCAR 2, adjustable from the cockpit in CART).  In CART, I also tend to run
the front wing at the maximum angle and the rear anywhere from 10-12
degrees.  I do make exceptions to this rule, e.g., I run the wings at 11/9
degrees f/r at Road America.

But the bottom line is, if you want something that drives like a real car,
you're better off with a driving SIMULATION as opposed to an "arcade" game.
GT is more the latter than the former.

Scot