RE: Brakes at Laguna (was: c2 automotive)

To: "'Larrybsp@aol.com'" <Larrybsp@aol.com>,
Subject: RE: Brakes at Laguna (was: c2 automotive)
From: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 12:44:54 -0500

Message text written by barry Spencer

"Guys,
     You're missing the point here. When Katie is talking about flat out in

turn 10.  She is driving  the car with the driver's seat in the lay down
position. "

Well, it's been  a while since I drove Laguna Seca's Turn 10 in a real race
car (in a Russell School Formula Ford), and SCRAMP has moved Turn 10 closer
to the prior turn, but standard Jim Russell School teaching is to take that
turn flat out.
        In spring time this year in a variety of '00 street machines during
a vehicle press day, I found the speed attained out of Turn 9 was not so
great that you still took Turn 10 flat out. That's what keeps the car on
the road.

        It's good to note the standard Russell School philosophy is to take
ALL turns flat out, power on going across the late apex. If you have to
slow down you do it while traveling in a straight line BEFORE the turn.

        (When I originally drove Turn 10 it was called Turn 8 before Laguna
moved it. And the Russell School and Barber Schools have switched places
with Barber now at Laguna and just renewing their contract for another five
years.)

--John Kelly