ProSolo writeup from Darren P. Madams in ba-autox-digest V1

To: ba-autox-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: ProSolo writeup from Darren P. Madams in ba-autox-digest V1
From: David Parker <dparker@verity.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Dec 2000 09:31:21 -0800 (PST)
------------------------------

Press Return to continue:
From: "Darren P. Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 1998 20:30:29 -0800
Subject: ProSolo2 for rookies?  Yes!

I was going to reply directly to Patrick, but since this is what kept me
from going to Atwater 2 years ago, I felt I'd share with the whole
list...

Don't be intimidated by the Pro in ProSolo.  That's really just a
special marketing term.  You can still run your normal car in your
normal class (at least sort of) and you actually get more runs than a
usual event.  I strongly encourage ALL rookies and everyone else to
attend... the format is fun, the competition is awesome, and you'll get
to see Andy "Mr. ProSolo" McKee prove that the MR-2 really belongs in BS
:)  Anyone is eligible, but at some point (more that 3 events?) you have
to get a ProSolo license.  There's other minor things like to have to
have a ProSolo windshield sticker and probably some sponsor decals, but
nothing major.

Basically, here's the 30 second version:

o Two mirrored courses, theoretically identical hereafter refered to as
the left and right courses.  Course length is usually fairly short,
25-30 secs.
o You and an oponent leave the line at the same time and get to race
back to the finish!
o 2 sets of 4 runs (2 on each side? 4 each?) on Saturday, and another 4
Sunday morning sets your dial-in time.
o If you're within some seemingly random number from the top people in
your class (don't ask me how that works) you get to be in the
challenge!
o Sunday afternoon, the challenges take place.  Here they set the lights
up so that you both would theoretically finish at the same time (ie,
delayed start for the fast guy).  First one back wins!  If you go better
than your dial-in, that's what you have to run next time.
o Switch to the other side and repeat previous step.  Best sum total
wins.
o If you win your round, you move forward and get more runs, else you go
home early.
o Finally there will be a big showdown for the top spot where everyone
will collectively hold their breath for the entire ~30 seconds until the
finish line and then a champion is declared.

It's a game of consistency, pressure management and reaction times.

For more info, you can check out SCCAs web-site @ http://www.scca.org/

So, I encourage everyone to enter the event, especially those rookies
looking to drastically improve their skills really quickly!  You get
lots of seat time and the added competition of staging next to someone
really helps you be a better driver.

Please shout out if anyone has any questions!

        --Darren