wheel bearing SOS

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: wheel bearing SOS
From: "Phil Esra" <philesra@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 11:34:15 -0800
Hi people,

I've been developing a vibration over the last 2 weeks that I was hoping was
a tire out of balance. I jacked up the car this morning, and there's an
alarming amount of play in my right rear wheel bearing. (It's definitely not
the strut, which is a common MR2 Koni malady.) Can anyone give me a ballpark
idea of life expectancy for wheel bearings once they get sloppy? I'd love to
be able to get home from work tonight and deal with it on monday, but I'd
hate to have a failure on the san mateo bridge.

Also, what's a ballpark figure for how much it should cost? If I need to get
it fixed in Portola Valley, I want to try to avoid paying venture capitalist
labor rates...

thanks!

Phil