Kart numbering: was Re: Trailer crew in 3rd heat

To: Darren Madams <darren@madams.com>,
Subject: Kart numbering: was Re: Trailer crew in 3rd heat
From: "Donald R McKenna" <donbarbmckenna@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 14:03:35 -0800
Darren Madams replys to John Kelly's comments on "car numbers:

>John Kelly wrote:
>> As the rule book spells out a minimum size for numbers, it would be my
>> suggestion we don't let anybody run whose numbers don't meet the spec. AND,
>> there are also requirements for a class designation. This MUST apply to our
>> go-kart drivers too.
>
>I respectfully disagree.  I checked every kart to see if that was the
>problem.  We all have _very_ clear numbering and very different numbers
>on at least 3 sides.  Some of us even have a 4th number plate on the rear.
>Almost all of us have dark black numbers on a solid white background.  This
>is for kart sprint races too and they don't have problems there. Most of
>the 2 driver juniors also have their numbers on their helmets.

Before talking about numbering of Karts, you should all be aware that
there's increasing concern, within the SCCA SFR Solo II Steering Committee,
about the necessity of (and how to go about) improving both numbering and
class identification on ALL competing cars. As attendance at events has
increased, the frequency of car ID problems has seemed to increase. Even if
only proportional to attendace increases, the confusion/delays caused by ID
problems have a compounding effect on our ability to run events in the
run-time-hours available and, more importantly to the competitor, to be able
to record and produce accurate results.

I worked course when the Karts ran Sunday and, want to make some, hopefully,
objective observations about Darren's interpretation of what is acceptable
numbering (for karts).

Obviously, all of the logical numbering precautions apply to Karts. White
numbers on yellow cars, and or contrasting dark numbers on medium to dark
colored cars are harder to read than numbers which clearly contrast with the
car color. Another obvious fact is that bigger numbers are easier to read
than smaller numbers. All of us know how difficult it is, sometimes, to read
the temporary paper numbers, which we give out at registration. But its
expected that this is a short term problem for all concerned, in that, most
folks adapt quickly by obtaining their own, larger and more legible, numbers
(hopefully with class letters, also)..

Most/many of the numbers on the Karts, Sunday, appeared to be quite a bit
smaller than the 8" minimum specified in the SCCA National rule book. No
matter what the practicality of arguments about running larger numbers on
Karts might be, more errors in scoring and/or confusion will occur with
small numbers compared to large numbers. Although many, or possibly most, of
the Kart numbers were of adequate contrast, unless you are able to read the
number straigh-on, the smaller numbers, sometimes afixed to countoured
surfaces, become quickly difficult to read as the car passes and the viewing
angle changes.

As a practical matter, kart drivers should consider the environment they're
"playing" in. The Solo II environment (at least until the karts take-over
:-) ) is dominated by people driveing BIG cars, not karts. Even if everyone
in the "kart world" is happy with all aspects of the kart experience,
including the numbering style for karts at "all-kart" events, that doesn't,
necessarilly, make the "kart world" interpretation acceptable in the Solo II
environment.

Now to a darker side of the "kart issue". Even though many/most of us
(including yours, truly) really enjoy watching a well-driven shifter kart
negotiate the course; brave folks from my perspective, there are grumbles
and some negative bias, on the part of some "big-car" Solo II competitors
towards the karts. The engine sound of a number of shifter karts in the grid
area may be "music" to a kart owner, but not, necessarilly to everyone else,
especially workers attempting to communicate above the noise. Although the
results of Sunday's Shifter kart class don't reflect it, there's some
feeling that karts are involved in a disproportionate number of delays
caused by DNFs, cone-hits, push-starts and long times (due to spins).
Although it may not be fair to the image of shifter karts, the
understandable frequency of Junior kart "delays" doesn't help enhance the
total kart "image".

Objections/biases like these aren't easily overcome by logical reasoning, so
why add to any dis-content, rational or not, by having numbers that workers
can't easilly read.

Kart competitors, think about it, there are all kind of rebuttles to my
comments but, to fix a "problem" (if possible), rather than rationalizing,
might pay dividends in the long run.

Ok, I'm ready.

        Don