Re: fuel mileage

To: Giles Douglas <giles@vy.com>
Subject: Re: fuel mileage
From: Pat Kelly <lollipop@ricochet.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 14:36:32 -0800
        I sort of feel like the 55mph deal was an excuse for the govt to rake
in more bucks from tickets. Yes, it was in response to the fuel problem
(crisis), and the other argument was it made the freeways safer because
of the lower speeds. Since then, part 2 has been proven incorrect, since
the deaths per mile have dropped significantly since the speed limits
were raised. As for part 1, since then, the automobiles themselves have
become far more efficient, and probably burn less gas at 70 mph than the
70s cars did at 55.
        Remember the cars that were built in the late 70s that had speedometers
that pegged at 85 mph? So you could be toodling down the freeway at an
indicated 85mph and really be going much faster. :) "Officer, the speedo
read 85."
--Pat Kelly