Lugnut studs

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Lugnut studs
From: "Runnion, Ed" <Ed_Runnion@regionofdoom.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2001 19:15:19 -0800
Check this thread....

http://www.sccaforums.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000079.html

As one of the folks racing what is pretty much THE heaviest car at SFR
events, the above obviously concerns me!   I always inspect the lugnuts and
studs whenever I do a tire R&R, but of course you can't be too careful.
And being preventative here is obviously a lot cheaper (and safer!) than
having a catastrophic failure.

The current lugnuts on the car are the GM "standard" 12mmx1.5 threaded nuts.
Stock OEM studs in back, SLIGHTLY (but not much) better in front.

I will have the axles coming out soon in back (gear swap), so that'd be the
obvious time to swap those.   And the fronts are really easy to swap as
well.

So, with all that in mind......

What are the SCCA rules (if any) in Street Prepared on going to :

 * Longer wheel studs
 * LARGER (i.e. 14mm, not 12mm) lugnuts

Ideally, I'd like to upgrade to 14mm lugnuts and studs that are approx 1/2"
longer (I have CLOSE to entire, but not entire, thread engagement on the
stock lugnuts....about 10 turns worth).

Anyone know????

Ed Runnion        Santa Clara CA
mailto:Ed_Runnion@RegionOfDoom.com