Re: claiming

To: John Kelly <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Subject: Re: claiming
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@idsfa.net>
Date: Fri, 6 Jul 2001 13:55:00 -0700
>         Seems to me you're asking for an enormous amount of work on the
> part of volunteer SCCA officials to enforce something. Do you really see a
> need to claim some guy's stock fuel injection system? How would he get
> home?

M.J. did say "non-stock parts", so you wouldn't be allowed to claim
some guy's stock fueld injection system.

>         Do you want to claim tires? Batteries? Wheels? Crash bolts?

I think the idea is to play by the stock class rules, but additionally
stipulate that any of the allowable modifications be claim-able.  The
point would be to reduce the tendency to install parts that although
technically legal, few others are willing to use because of the
expense.

It would only work in a series though.  If someone is determined to
win a single event, Topeka for example, they may be willing to buy a
$4000 set of shocks just for that event.  I think they'd be less
willing to buy a dozen such sets to win a series.

How much extra work would it make for the officials?  This could still
be something that was policed by the competitors.  If a 1st place
competitor is unwilling to honor the claim rule, the official would
just disqualify the winner's score, as if the winner had not worked.

Claiming the whole car is a very different concept, and I'm not
surprised it didn't go over well in a sport where people compete in
their personal transportation.  I don't think that it's comparable at
all to what M.J. is suggesting.

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94